from A Year In A Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop
1 pound fresh Chinese noodles (I used Udon)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon roasted peanut oil (I used less)
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine or sherry
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoons minced gingerroot
1 medium fresh chile, stemmed and minced or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fermented black beans, finely chopped (I used 1 tablespoon black bean and garlic sauce)*optional
8 ounces extra-firm or firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and blotted dry between several layers of paper towels
6 cups stemmed and thinly sliced tender leafy greens (spinach, chard, tatsoi, bok choy, etc)- I left stems on
1. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot for cooking the noodles. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the noodles and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the noodles. Toss the noodles with 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk the reserved cooking water, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and rice wine together in a small bowl. Set the hoisin mixture aside.
3. Place the garlic, ginger, chile, and black beans, if using, in another small bowl. Set the aromatics aside.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the tofu and cook, stirring several times, until the cubes are golden on most sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the tofu to a small bowl.
5. Add the greens and 1/2 cup water to the empty pan and stir-fry until the greens have wilted and the water has evaporated, about 1 minute.
6. Clear the center of the pan and spread the aromatics out over the empty spot in the pan. Drizzle the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over the aromatics and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir the aromatics into the greens to combine.
7. Add the noodles and hoisin mixture and use two forks to pull apart the noodles. Sitr-fry, continuing to pull the noodles apart, until they are hot and well-coated with sauce and greens, about 30 seconds. Add the tofu and toss with the noodles once or twice to distribute the tofu cubes and heat them up, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately.