Today I managed to get a large portion of the herb garden tended and planted. That was a bit of work! Here you can see the before picture- what I had to work with.
Somewhere in there is a sage plant as well as a lemon thyme plant. And way at the back you can almost see the scallions that are there. This was a chore. I had to go through and dig out all those weeds by hand- still digging out that blasted bishop’s weed. Someday I will be rid of it all! I pulled all the weeds to just past the scallions, and then I worked in 4 bags of composted manure. I did manage to find the sage and lemon thyme alive and well, and then I gave them some friends.
I put in marjoram, thyme, lovage, two kinds of basil, and then the leeks and onions as well. Once those were planted, I also planted some chive, fennel and dill seed in the patch. Hopefully in the week to come I’ll find a little bit of time to dig out the weeds beyond the scallions and put in a few more herb plants. Here is my after photo:
I have to say, planting all those onions and leeks by hand was really rather obnoxious. And I just realized that I don’t have any new scallions- just the ones from last year, so I will definitely have to put those at the other end of the bed, along with some parsley, rosemary and whatever other herbs I can find at the garden center. All the ones that went in today I started from seed.
One piece of yard at a time…