This last week was quite the week, I am still sore!
I started out Monday night potting up all my tomato seedlings. I started at 9pm, and ended up finishing up cleaning up at 2:15am. It took a bit longer than I anticipated. When I was done I had to take a count, it looked like a lot more than I thought I had. I potted up 98 tomato plants, and 96 of those are growing well a little over a week later. There are 2 that are questionable (both Dr Wyche’s yellow, which is actually an orange tomato, go figure), but they weren’t looking very good when I re-potted them either. I have room for 24 tomatoes in my garden, and 8 of those will be from Erika. I will have quite a few to give away this year.
My peppers are still not doing very well. I have what I would call 5 healthy plants, and 3 or so that I might be able to plant but they will be pretty small yet when I plant them. I learned my lesson for next year on starting peppers, so now I can’t wait for next year’s pepper planting (I know, there is a whole year yet).
The basil is doing pretty well, I should end up potting them up this week too. Looks like I will have between 6 and 8 each of Sweet Basil and Basil Genovese.
On Saturday I tilled the garden. That was quite the workout. My garden this year is 25×12, and I found that all the area that we claimed from the lawn is pretty heavy clay. I amended the soil a little, but it will need a lot more work next year to grow things better. I am hoping that dropping a shovelful of loose dirt and compost in the hole with the tomatoes and peppers will help.
After tilling we planted onions (100 each of yellow and white long day), carrots (mix of rainbow and purple haze), and 4 types of lettuce. I followed that up on Sunday with 70 radishes or so, then measured and placed stakes where all my tomato and pepper plants will end up. I am hoping to see some sprouts by the end of the week.